Langsung ke konten utama

4 Cozy Reading Nooks You’ll Want in Your Home Right Now

4 Cozy Reading Nooks You’ll Want in Your Home Right Now Constructing a reading nook doesn’t have to be hard. Sometimes all you need is lots of pillows and a little unused space. Reading nooks are also a great way to use dead, unused, or awkward space within a home. Nooks can help maximize living space and provide additional seating, along with providing a personal sanctuary. With these four easy DIY reading nook projects, it won’t be long before you find yourself dreaming of getting lost in a good book. 1. Make Use of Dead Space with a Corner Bench Do you have a dead corner in your house that’s just…there? A great remedy for that empty space is a corner bench. Creating an L-shaped bench will maximize your space. Not only will it provide additional seating, but it can also become storage. Create this bench with bookshelves, cushions, and pillows for the ultimate reading nook space. When the bookshelves are placed together, you can then determine what size cushion you will need to go on ...

EASY DIY GALVANIZED WALL PLANTER

EASY DIY GALVANIZED WALL PLANTER 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

Let’s jump right into how to make a DIY Galvanized Wall Planter 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

What you’ll need to make your own DIY hanging planter:
  • Cookie tins – I chose various sizes but your’s could be all the same
  • A ruler & Sharpie marker
  • Tin snips
  • A Dremel hand tool with a metal cutting blade
  • Safety goggles
  •  Sandpaper – I used a fine grit
  • Hot glue gun
  • Spray paint – I used Dark Steel, but you could easily use bright fun colors
  • Craft paint – I used black & silver to create the aged metal look
  • Sponge – For the faux metal finish
  • Potting soil – I used a combo of Cactus mix and Pro-Mix HP
  • Plants of your choosing
  • Decorative or wildcrafted moss

How to make this simple DIY planter

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

Prepare the cookie tin by measuring and marking your cutline on the lid. I chose to cut mine at about 60% the overall height. So for a 9-inch tin, I marked a line at 5 inches resulting in a 4-inch planter depth.  Feel free to mix it up, but that’s what I did.

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

Put on your safety glasses. Using your Dremel on low speed & with a metal blade, carefully cut the cookie tin lid along your marked line. Tip: work slowly, and use a delicate plunging motion to move the blade along. Don’t move too fast and don’t plunge too deep, the blade will bind and kick, remember safety first! 

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

When you get to the edge, remove the lid and cut the edge with tin snips. Be careful of sharp edges. With a fine grit paper or pad, sand the new cut edges, taking care not to cut yourself on the sharp tin.

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

Line up the lid so that the seam of the cookie tin is on the bottom.  With your hot glue & working fast, apply a generous bead of hot glue along the rim of the lid and quickly place it back on the cookie tin. Use pressure to make sure the two are joined. Then use the hot glue to seal up the inside of the tin where the lid and base meet (does that all make sense? let me know if it doesn’t).

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

There are a few ways to hang your wall planter, I’ve chosen to simply punch a hole in the back of the tin for a small nail to go through. This seems to be the simplest and easiest method that I’ve found 🙂

 

 

Painting your DIY Wall Planter

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

In a well-ventilated area apply 1-2 coats of the base layer Dark Metalic spray paint to the tin, making sure to get inside the tin too.  Allow the paint to dry before moving on to the faux finishing.


How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

You heard me right! FAUX FINISHING! And sponge painting to boot! 90’s STYLE. Ok, on a plate or plastic lid pour 2-3 tbsp of black paint followed by 1 tbsp silver craft paint (don’t mix them together, let them blend together as your work). Dab your sponge in a bit paint and begin dabbing all over the cookie tin, working all over the tin to set a base layer. Layering tones of paint, continue to dab and blend the paint until the desired “zinc or galvanized” look is achieved.  Let your hanging planter dry 30 minutes plus before moving on to planting.

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

How to plant your DIY Hanging Planter

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

Blend up and slightly moisten your soil mix.  I create a soil blend of 50% & 50% Pro-mix HP (high porosity) and Cactus Soil. This custom blend will be lightweight and porous, while still providing aeration and drainage. This blend works well in this type of DIY hanging planter because we won’t be adding drain holes.

 

Lay your plants out and assess/arrange them for composition, aka get an idea of what looks good to you.  Add a bit of soil bend to fill the bottom of the wall planter and begin filling with the selected plants.  Mulch with moss to hide any visible soil and keep the plants moist

 

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

How to Care for your Wall Planter

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

 

Hang your wall planter out of direct sunlight, you don’t want the tin to overheat and damage the roots of the plants. I’ll be putting mine on my front porch, on either side of my front door.  While the porch itself does get hot, the wall by the door seems to stay somewhat shaded (morning & evening) by the roof overhang. I’ll let you all know if I need to find a different location.

 

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

Watering your Wall Planter

Water often, even small plants need regular water in hot weather. I would suggest watering every 2-3 days depending on your weather.  You’ll be the best judge if the soil feels dry add some water, but if the soil feels cool, then watering can wait another day.

How to Make Simple DIY Galvanized Wall Planters - The Hip Homestead

Source from here

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

DIY Hand Sanitizer - Natural withour Alcohol

DIY Hand Sanitizer - Natural withour Alcohol DIY Hand Sanitizer Supplies 100%  Aloe Vera Gel   Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca oil)    Plant Therapy Brand   $7  10ml  (use approx. 8 to 10 drops per 8 oz )   Doterra Brand  15ml  $20 (use approx. 1-3 drops per 8 oz ) Distilled Water Plastic container of choice Printable labels below & wide clear packing tape (optional) Ingredient Option Details Aloe Vera Gel:  The Aloe Vera plant is wonderful for using in hand sanitizer because of its powerful antioxidant and antibacterial benefits. Plus it’s great for the skin and is also widely used or healing burns. This will make your sanitizer thick but it’s optional. Tea Tree Oil:  Also known as melaleuca oil, this is one of the most powerful and safe antibacterials available. (Natural or otherwise.) There are other oils that have the same property but I  always  use tea tree. Why? Because it will heal MRSA and did so ...

DIY BEGINNER MACRAME GARLAND

DIY BEGINNER MACRAME GARLAND MATERIALS NEEDED: macrame yarn (I use this one  HERE  and  HERE ) sharp scissors (I like using haircutting scissors) wood beads (I used these  HERE  and some slightly larger ones I had, I lied alternating slightly different sizes) hair comb (if you want to brush out the edges again) INSTRUCTIONS: I made another video which you can see below and you can also follow my step-by-step instructions as described with the photos:   For my garland, I used 23 wooden beads threaded on a 10-foot piece of macrame cord. I wanted it to belong so I could possibly use it on a Christmas tree shortly. For my length of garland, you need to knot 22 small pieces of macrame altogether. And when you make one piece of macrame in-between the above wood beads you need to cut 6 pieces of 40-inch macrame yarn which you then have to repeat 22 times or however long you want your garland. I had to cut 132 pieces of 40-inch macrame yarn strings. Does that make ...

DIY Home Decor - Letters for Summer Ideas

DIY Home Decor - Letters for Summer Ideas  Supplies: Paper mache letters spelling “BEACH” Mod Podge Satin Scrapbook paper or printed paper Acrylic paint  in cream Bag of seashells Hot glue gun Paintbrush Pencil Scissors Craft knife  and mat Brayer (optional) Tutorial : I found a cool paper pattern online and printed five sheets for “BEACH.” Place each letter face down on the back of the paper (not on the patterned side) and trace with a pencil. Any themed scrapbook paper works as well. Cut out each letter with the scissors – trimming out any small areas with the  craft knife  and mat. Set your paper cutouts aside.  Paint each letter with several coats of  acrylic paint . Use a light color such as a cream or a white (whatever light color coordinates with your paper pattern). Let dry.  Working one letter at a time, paint a medium layer of  Mod Podge  on the top of the letter. Make sure to coat the whole thing.  Place your paper c...